Thursday, July 14, 2005

Securing your home PC

I'm not an expert, but I do take pride in keeping my home PC clean of viruses and spyware, etc.. Mission accomplished so far!!

This is what I'm currently using:
Antivirus
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0
It's provided free by my employer. For a good free antivirus application, try AVG. I've installed it for a few people and it does a pretty good job. It'll do automatic updates and scan emails.

Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 (freeware)
This is a great little firewall. I could use the built-in Microsft firewall, but I was already using this when Microsoft came out with their own so I stuck with it.

Adware and Spyware Utilities
Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Professional (Build 1.05)

I assume you have to pay for this version but I believe there is a free version available.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta1 (Freeware)
I just installed this today so I haven't had a good chance to see it in action yet. I did an initial scan of my system and it didn't find anything, but I just ran a scan with Ad-Aware last night and it cleaned a few things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home