Thursday, May 19, 2005

Liberals Survive Confidence Vote

How lame are we as Canadians right about now? Our minority government (that was recently exposed for bilking millions of dollars through the Adscam scandal) has managed to once again pull itself out of the fire. The Liberals were faced with two non-confidence votes tonight and they won both, with the speaker of the house voting as the tie breaker (he's a Liberal).

And why? Because we don't want to have to vote during our summer vacation? There's no alternative party to vote for? Not only did our prime minister strike a deal with the NDP which ended up costing taxpayers 4 billion dollars that wouldn't have been in the budget otherwise, but he stole one of the opposition MPs and offered her a cabinet seat to make sure he had enough votes.

I can't wait to find out what deals he made with the independent MPs. We'll see if any of them all of a sudden join the Liberals and get cabinet positions. Or maybe they'll just get some nice federal funding in their ridings. What a joke.

Suppose they didn't snag Stronach like they did.... they would have lost the vote and we'd be heading to the polls in 40 days. Recent surveys were showing the the Conservatives had already lost most of the support they had a few weeks ago, so the Liberals would have most likely ended forming a minority government once again.

I pissed my vote away on the NDP last election, only because I knew I wasn't going to vote Liberal, but I don't trust the Conservatives either. The 2 main reasons I won't vote Conservatives are:
1. I want our healthcare to improve (and not by privatization!)
2. Their position on gays getting married. To me this is a religion issue, not a political one.

And as far as Stronach goes... I think Harper let her go so she can be to the Liberals, what Kim Campbell was to the Conservatives. I've lost complete respect for Martin... he's just a political whore in my mind. And McKay... shutup about your broken heart already you sissy! You probably would have ended up being divorce number 3 anyway!

I don't understand how an MP can just switch parties if they want. Shouldn't that decision be made by the constituents that elect them? There are tons of people who vote for a party, not the individual. Many people vote for the party that most reflects their values, and to just switch from one party to another is a complete change in those values in some cases.

Alright... I'm done bitching for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home