Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Contender Title Fight

If I hear Stallone say "rematch" one more time I think I'll puke. It wasn't even that great of a fight. He must have said it about 30 times and he started talking rematch before the fight even started! It was basically two guys hugging each other for 7 rounds.

Mora was bleeding like a pig at the end but he deserved the win, no question. If he wasn't such a pompous prick I might have enjoyed the fight, but I think most people were hoping that Manfredo would win. Maybe he's just one of those guys that people love to hate.

Let's face it. Mora was the better fighter and the only person not to lose during the series. Manfredo was lucky to get voted back in.

Personally, I think the fight for bronze was much better to watch. I love watching Jessie fight because he makes you feel like the next punch will be for the KO. The other fighers lacked that.

Another thing... how can you expect guys to heal enough to fight that often and compete? I'm no expert, but if a guy gets cut in a fight, he probably needs a few weeks to recoup or it will just open up the first time the other guy lands a decent punch.

I'm not interested in a Mora vs Manfredo Jr - II. Mora vs Alfonso doesn't interest me either. I don't think Alfonso can beat Mora, but at least he's a likeable guy. What I'd really like to see is if any of these guys really are contenders. Let Mora fight for the real title! Then we'll see if he's really worth the million bucks.

It was also weird to see fights actually scored properly. I kept waiting for the shocking results but then realized that Don King wasn't involved in the show.

All in all it was a great season and I'd watch it again. I give season 1 an 8 on 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home